Wednesday, May 21, 2008

For all

The thing I enjoyed about these papers is that they recognized the need to make the advancements of academia available to all people. A lot of the things I have learned since coming to college have felt abstract and completely disconnected from the real world. One of things I have learned that's stuck with me, however, is the idea of the world as represented by 100 people. Out of these 100 people, only one of them would have attended college. The fact that I am immersed in a college environment, that I grew up in a college town, and that I am constantly surrounded by my parent's college educated friends, makes this statistic a hard pill to swallow. I really liked that both of these papers were discussing the utilization of knowledge resources to bring real life issues to those who may not get off campus much, and to bring previously unaccessible ideas to some of those 99 people who usually don't get the chance to see them. This application of academia to real-life gives it meaning to far more people.

No comments: