Saturday, May 17, 2008

Reading the self

The subject is a short to medium height (a little over five feet tall) Semitic-appearing Caucasian female who looks to be in her late teens or early twenties. Brunette hair is cut mid-neck length and layered. The upper layers appear to have some blonde highlights, and the hair appears partially straightened but frizzy, suggesting that she has taken little time to style it. The subject has a small amount of makeup on but does not appear to have taken especial care with its application, again suggesting a rush to get ready. The subject sports a lip ring on the lower right hand side, but no other jewelery. She is wearing a light pink t-shirt over the top of a white ribbed undershirt. The t-shirt has two arms printed on it, one arm appearing to hold a bra and the other a lighter, perhaps suggesting her views about underclothing, more likely about women's rights. The subject is wearing a darker pink belt on low-slung green khaki capris. The pants look well worn and are cut off a little below the knee. The pants have six pockets, two in the front as waist level, two behind at waist level, and two on the sides, falling about lower thigh, but only the front two pockets contain items. The subject is also wearing flip-flops; the bands of the flip-flops are slightly faded green cloth with yellow rhombuses stitched into them. The base of the flip-flops are black, with a hard bottom layer and softer looking foam upper layer. Her outfit appears to be chosen for it's functionality, and also appears comfortable and casual. Her shirt suggests a feminist point of view.

Explanation
Due to an unfortunate incident involving bleach and my oh-so-tortured hair, my hair retains damaged blonde highlights which I have been trying to cut out slowly; hence, the short hair. I was also blessed with what I will lovingly call a “Jew-fro”; styling my hair is a nearly impossible task under most circumstances so I usually try for a few minutes and then give up. In addition, since it's the weekend I tend to relax whatever standards I may have for my appearance even further than usual, accounting for the harried look.

My shirt I bought on the internet; I thought it was funny and there was a link to it from my favorite blog, feministing.com. I also owned no pink clothing before I got the shirt and thought it might be good to embrace the color. I also really enjoy the combination of pink and green (my modern dance teacher, who I always considered inspiringly creative, wore this combo often).

My pants one of my friends from high school gave me; she and I are both uber-short and we used to exchange clothes. However, due to my awkward height (it is nearly impossible to find pants since I am too tall for short sizes and too short for tall sizes) they ended up actually being too short so I cut the bottom parts off. I also wear these pants to most concerts due to how many pockets they have, so I can shove everything I need in the pockets and not have to worry about a bag. Since it's just a normal day, they aren't as packed full of important items as they usually are since I am carrying a bag. The fact that they are second-hand and also used for such active endeavors accounts for the extra wear.

My flip-flops I bought second-hand, but in mint condition. They are possibly the most comfortable footwear I own, so they are faded from use, especially as I often wear them on the beach and they have accompanied me into various oceans. I also dislike when my feet are confined to I wear them as often as possible.

All of my clothes were chosen for the fact that while it is rather warm out, I also have to go work in a cold building for seven hours later today and then walk home when the temperatures have dropped. All of my clothes were also chosen for how comfortable they are, as work rarely gives me the feeling that I need to dress to impress. I have far too much homework for that.

No comments: